1. Do you want Unlimited Mod and Skin downloads, Access to ALL premium/paid mods, No Delay Between Downloads, No Ads, a Blog, LOADS of site benefits and more! For one small monthly fee! Starting from $6.99 p/m - ✭ Join our Sims 4 V.I.P Club Here ✭ & Find out more about V.I.P here

Disabled sims and wheelchairs

Discussion in 'The Sims 4 General Discussion' started by James, Mar 29, 2014.

?

Should there be disabled sims and wheelchairs?

1. Yes

40 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Maybe

8 vote(s)
    14.3%
    Johzan

Johzan

That would be really cool, also injuring your sims should be a thing. But i understand if that's not possible, since that would delay the game even longer because they have to make a WHOLE LOT of more animations :/ But that's a great point, they should totally do that :D
    Simon Graceffa

Simon Graceffa

Origin ID:
    simongraceffa
    Thats not what I meant... I said that if I were disabled, I wouldn't make my character in game disabled. You could have it in the game but people would make articles about it, good or bad. Its like a child making pictures of his mum with legs if she didn't have legs. You are also falsely telling me that I want them excluded from existence which is what I did NOT say. I actually would be sad for my sims if they died in such away that seriously gave me trauma but it does not. And please, can you stop saying what I say if it is not what is on the screen? >_> This problem didn't come up in the first place. It doesn't seem that anyone had a problem with it in the first few games. And besides. If we are neither handicapped or suicidal, we shouldn't be saying who would be okay or who wouldn't be. We aren't in their position. It would be of best interest for them to leave it out of the game.
    Sims4Forum

Sims4Forum The Boss Site Owner

Simon and V12 lol... who knew it was possible to start a full out argument over a feature on a Sims forum. I'm not going to start laying out bans or warnings/infractions over this, but may have to if you guys don't play nice :( That goes for you too FalseZen! No insulting or name calling, if you have a problem with someone come to me or Gigi with it.

I'll be removing some of your posts from this thread, so we don't completely de-rail this topic with off-topic arguing. If you must guys, take this into the PM system, and you are free to use the ignore function.

I think it's safe to say theres people on both sides of the fence with this, both V12 and Simon have valid points as to why they both think this feature should and should not be in the game.
    • Like Like x 2
    Rethka786

Rethka786

Origin ID:
    Rethka786
    They did actually say that you can create yourself so having this feature will enable more players to do that.
    :)
    disneygirl

disneygirl

I'm new to this site but I always been pro-disablties in the Sims. It's just on the main forum where it comes up at LEAST once a month or so. It basically turns into a flame war. Like just yesterday someone asked on the Sims 4 forum on the sims 3 website to make Little People and it turned into a flame war- **** Please-do-not-promote-other-forums **** copy-content-here ****jforum/posts/list/753270.page. But I can link you guys to threads that haven't been deleted which caused flame wars. Wheelchairs here: **** Please-do-not-promote-other-forums **** copy-content-here ****jforum/posts/list/520303.page

Racially Tayna explains it here:
    **** Please-do-not-promote-other-forums **** copy-content-here ****jforum/posts/list/707356.page

Sims series is a parody series. That's another reason some people oppose adding disabled people; then, it would be EA making fun of the disabled.

You also get the excuses (besides "too much animation) of "disablties don't sell" or "EA could end up with a lawsuit on their hands." I made two blogs about both these-so called excuses so you can read them yourselves:

http://celoptra.wordpress.com/2013/...ith-disablities-not-selling-well/#comment-227

http://celoptra.wordpress.com/2012/...one-lousy-excuse-that-almost-always-comes-up/

Here's a real-life example of 'jerk' doing something stupid:

Last summer in a town/city near my town/city there was an autistic boy. One day the family gets a hate-filled letter from one of the neighours of, either themselves or the kid's grandma, saying the boy isn't good for anything (wouldn't get married, hold a job[​IMG],etc) and the kid should be "put down" like its a runt of the litter. That's the second time the family had to deal with an anti-disablilty person. When the kid was younger he would throw a ball at the fence and sometimes it would go over a fence. Most of the time it happens-the ball was always returned (the ball had their name on it) and one day it wasn't returned for days and when it was, it was all chopped up.

People are looking to much as the “Eww Disabled!” or “That’s too bad” (ie. disabled is depressing) side of game and not seeing the potential possibilities of game play

1.train service anims

anmials:

guide dogs

guide ponies

small monkeys

2. In the base game a blind sim could call a rabbithole centre and ask for a service sim to help them get to places until pets come into the picture.

3. train service animals

4. With IP autistic sims could swim with dolphins in the sea

5 disabled children can ride horses for therapy

I did have a talk once with a Gru (Ray Mazza) recently (last summer) about disablties and Sims. This was his response (was asking about a poll):
    hat's the sort of thing that we might do if we were heavily considering it for a pack in the very near future. If it's just a more general poll, then we'd be worried it might disappoint players if it took years before we eventually did it. However, I had a conversation with some other SimGurus at lunch about this, and the general opinion was that including disabilities could be good if (1) it didn't use all our animation budget and (2) it was something players could opt into. There was one SimGuru who disagreed though, who thought it was too serious an issue. It was certainly an interesting conversation.
    Last edited: May 23, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
    Simon Graceffa

Simon Graceffa

Origin ID:
    simongraceffa
    No offense but it'd be on a BuzzFeed list for the worst expansions of the sims 4. I wouldn't spend money on an expansion that lets my sims become disabled or gives them illnesses. Now if it was in base game and could be turned off, It'd be a win win. I also brung up the subject of having Sexual Orientation to be chosen in create a sim an people raided my comments, saying it would be unethical as all sims are bisexual and taking away that freedom would be blah blah blah.!
    disneygirl

disneygirl

@simon..most of the time when people are talking about having Sims with disabilities-either creating themselves or creating friends who are disabled- is just the option to have a button in Create-a-Sim. Sure there are some people who want accidents (like car crashes or something) to happen to Sims to 'make' them disabled. But 50% of the time it's the former. Its unfair to those people who were born disabled, to feel like they 'don't belong' or 'aren't perfect to fit into the society of the sims world' that they're *forced* to make their sim-selfs being walking sims. The game is about options..so there is no rhyme or reason (besides the one stated above from a Gru) for them not to included disablties as an option in CAS.
    Queen

Queen

Origin ID:
    PuReAnGeL
    I think it is horrible idea for having disabilities in game(s), it's like mockery, insulting, testing sims as guinea pigs, etc... How about stick to traditional game instead?
    Samira

Samira

Origin ID:
    XxAirixX
    I can see where some people are coming from and why they may want it. Not everyone who is disabled is always miserable and maybe it would make them feel like they could relate more to some sims. Each person views life and situations differently, etc....just like everyone plays the game differently. Some want it to mirror their life a lot, others don't.

I guess you can have it as an accessory so that way sims will use it all the time. Or have it be more of temporary thing. Another thing would be how they would move around. Would be hard to for them to get around, unless you had a town pre-made with ramps and stair lifts.

It would be easier have walkers or crutches added than wheelchairs. Nothing against the idea, it just seems it being really hard to add in without having to change a lot of the game animations, routeing and town set up,etc... for it to really work. If they were going to have them, should of been planned from the start when working on the base game and keeping it in mind. But I guess it still could be possible. Each expansion pack does add new animation.

Maybe it could be part of a work related expansion pack for the medical workers taking care of sims that were sick or injured, but it would still be difficult unless just temporary. I think at the least it is something to think about.
    disneygirl

disneygirl

People hate the Sims 3s CC wheelchairs because basically they are clones of dinning chairs with wheels attached. So basically it means the chair can't help the sim move. I tried one of the two CC wheelchairs once. Crutches would have problems too. It would have to be more then just an accessories.

Technically routing if EA claims is true, is NOT an issue anymore in the Sims 4. We already know that if a sim is sitting down he/she would look up at a person talking. or vice versa.
    Simon Graceffa

Simon Graceffa

Origin ID:
    simongraceffa
    I'm not in the mood to be arguing but I will say a statement that by no means starts an argument. I did not say the option shouldn't be in game, I said it shouldn't be and expansion and having it apart of base game would be better as long as they had an option to turn it off
    Queen

Queen

Origin ID:
    PuReAnGeL
    ... you believe that, huh? I guess you don't fit in the world, too?
    disneygirl

disneygirl

if you bothered to read the entire threads I link too..people who AREN'T me have said Exactly that. For example in the wheelchair thread mangoesandlimes said "have some disabled friends and they've told me they're bothered by the lack of disabled people in the media. They almost never see characters like themselves in movies, books[​IMG], TV shows, games, etc. For people who feel like my friends do, a wheelchair in game would be a good option. It wouldn't be 'fun' so much as 'realistic'."

mosneakers said I understand and respect everyone's opinion and point. However that being said, I would agree with putting this feature in the game, I have a cousin who also plays the sims, she is in a wheel chair, and she once said she is not ashamed to be in a wheelchair and although I know she doesn't like being in a wheelchair, she wants to make herself the way she is. That has always stuck with me. I see nothing wrong with that. I believe if EA did this in a tasteful way, and made sure that sims in wheelchairs could equally do everything that other sims could do, it might even send a pretty good message, especially to those who are disabled. Now, I know everyone will disagree with me, but that's my own opinion.

the OP, Carnicnick on this one is actually IN a wheelchair: **** Please-do-not-promote-other-forums **** copy-content-here ****jforum/posts/list/32334.page
    This is his OP:
    Hi, long time Sims player here. I've owned every single iteration, including the online game[​IMG], and most of the expansion packs. While I've seen the game grow exponentially in every regard, something has been lacking since the first game. Wheelchairs.

I've been a wheelchair user most of my life. While I enjoy making sim versions of people I know, I'm unable to make one of myself. Without the wheelchair, he's just not me. The world of the sims represents a great variety of the human spectrum. They can be any skin shade, fat or skinny, gay or straight, and even vampires. But disabled people, like myself, seem left out.
    In today's society, people in wheelchairs are often ignored or made invisible. I know it sounds corny, but I believe that including them in The Sims would go a long way in teaching people that disabled individuals are people too. We have careers[​IMG], relationships, and houses too. We can be rude, impolite, and neurotic as well. We even WooHoo!

I've looked at custom content, but the complexity of a request[​IMG] like this demands official support. I know there are a lot of technical challenges behind this. How would they interact with showers, bathtubs, and cars? I don't care. Make them teleport into objects if it's really an issue. Yes, I know it wouldn't be easy, but a lot of people like myself would greatly appreciate this effort. Maxis was really brave for including gay relationships in their game, and I applaud them for it. Now I'm humbly asking for disabilities to get similar treatment. Perhaps they could package it with a hospital expansion pack. "

if you look around a bit-even on that thread you will see someone else who been advocating for wheelchairs in the Sims since the Original Sims.
    Last edited: May 27, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
    Queen

Queen

Origin ID:
    PuReAnGeL
    Oh I know what you are talking about, believe me. But what has to do with the game? It is about REAL life that it has lots of issues like always (disabilities, races, shapes, love, animals, food, sizes, religious and all) that we fight everyday for freedom and peace. I myself am deaf woman. I do NOT want deaf or any kind of disabilities in this game, really because we dealt everyday in real life along with news and newspaper is too much! Too much. And now this is a game that we are playing to have fun... like "escape the real world." Real world has nothing to do with games. Long time ago, people used to ask for religious for Sims game. People ended up a huge fight... it wasn't not pretty, I'm telling you. Leave everything away from that game. Let's stick to traditional game that we love it so much, that's it. And you can always create it or ask someone to create a custom anything for your own game if that will making you very happy and you will.
    disneygirl

disneygirl

@other posters in the thread it's replies like Queen's (no offense Queen) which is why disablties aren't in the Sims already.

@Queen It would be an optional choice Queen for people who WANT it to be in the game. Just because YOU queen don't want it in the game..doesn't mean others (lik the people I have quoted from the official want it in the game. There are *some* people who don't like it that they can ONLY make able-body versions of themselves- for them it seems like the 'aren't worthy' of being in the Sims game. I can make my Sim-self wear glasses..but I don't have the option for a hearing aid for my Sim-self (which my real self sometimes wear).

I mean just look at the history of stories:
    disablties types:
    'sweet (or not so sweet) little disabled boy or girl but who is 'curable':
    Tiny Tim from A Christmas Carol
    Clara from Hedi
    Colin from The Secret Garden

if it's not the above the disabled person will be the villian:
    Captain Hook
    Long John Sliver
    Austin Power's Villain I think? Dr.bald?

it's rare if the disablity is a good' person
    for instance the X-men people (I can't remember who the Head of the school is-but he's in a wheelchair)

Harry Potter series:
    Mad-Eye Mood
    Granted despite what JKR has said..I view Lupin's problem as more of a disabled problem then as someone with a woohoo disease. Remus Lupin's were-wolf problem. He never wanted to find a cure for his problem, just something to 'dull the pain'.
    Queen

Queen

Origin ID:
    PuReAnGeL
    The Sims Team did not add anything since Sims 1. So probby not gonna happen unless you can add your own custom or someone will making it for you. :) And there are lots of awesome mods out there, one of them will make it I'm sure... so you can play a realistic disability Sim.
    disneygirl

disneygirl

Please go back and read my ENTIRE post before you comment

um 'didn't added anything since the Sims 1'? Ok I can name a few things 1)they added cars which could open/close and go places in the Sims 2 (but removed in the Sims 3), 2)In the Sims 3-sims can eat on the toilet or on the side of the bathtub to eat while in Sims 1 they did standing for all their activities. It's been stated that Sims could be able to eat on the bed in the Sims 4 3)civil unions have turned into Gay marriage in the Sims 3. 4)strollers (though they were crappy for a hilly place like Riverview)
    Queen

Queen

Origin ID:
    PuReAnGeL
    You can complain as much as YOU disneygirl want and that's fine with me but I already said from my previous posts. I don't want deaf, wheelchairs, amputees, autism, down syndrome, blind, etc... in that game. Just remember, it's UP to The Sims team If they want to add it or not. I am pretty sure it's not gonna happen but THEN there are.. like I said.. there are plenty of wonderful mods out there that can make it for YOU only. By the way, I love gay marriages (gay isn't disability)
    disneygirl

disneygirl

Maybe your should pay attention to what I'm typing.. MODS ARE USELESS FOR SOMETHING LIKE FREAKING WHEELCHAIRS BECAUSE THEY ARE COPIED FROM EITHER GAME LIVING OR DINNING CHAIRS. People who actually WANT wheelchairs want moveable ones, that's something Modders can't create (granted there was one outside wheelchair available for the Sims 2) Also it would be an OPTION in CAS for people to USE if they WANT it.

like on this thread alone it's at least 8 people (if you are counting me it's 9) for it vs. 2 people against it.

there are also 11 'yes votes' for it to be included.

BTW I wasn't saying being gay was a disability. I'm saying that gays in RL face alot of discrmatation/prejudice-just like disabled people do.

Should we get rid of death? Or fatness=obesity? How about children, and women= (abuse)? How about getting rid of any other skin colour that isn't white? How can *those* things be ok and others like disablties not be ok even if it was an option?

and if you looked into my FIRST post in this topic you would noticed I *have* talked to a Sim Gru and I wrote down his response: but I will post it again for you:

(I was asking about maybe a poll for asking the Sims community's feelings about disablties) and this is Ray Mazza's response:

That's the sort of thing that we might do if we were heavily considering it for a pack in the very near future. If it's just a more general poll, then we'd be worried it might disappoint players if it took years before we eventually did it. However, I had a conversation with some other SimGurus at lunch about this, and the general opinion was that including disabilities could be good if (1) it didn't use all our animation budget and (2) it was something players could opt into. There was one SimGuru who disagreed though, who thought it was too serious an issue. It was certainly an interesting conversation.
    Queen

Queen

Origin ID:
    PuReAnGeL
    Actually, I think you gone too serious about my comments. I don't know why you want me to say YES but I'm still saying NO. That's my final answer. And Remember... I don't work for Sims and you shouldn't worry about me! I gave my opinion what I think about your comment for the game, that's it but you gone nut over my comments. Why? You can chat with someone who's agreed with you. Stay there!