1. Do you want Unlimited Mod and Skin downloads, Access to ALL premium/paid mods, No Delay Between Downloads, No Ads, a Blog, LOADS of site benefits and more! For one small monthly fee! Starting from $6.99 p/m - ✭ Join our Sims 4 V.I.P Club Here ✭ & Find out more about V.I.P here

Sims 4: Wheelchairs and Disabilities

Discussion in 'Sims 4 Expansion Packs and Stuff Packs' started by James, Jun 24, 2014.

?

Do you like this idea?

1. Yes

50 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No

25 vote(s)
    33.3%
    James

James

Hi there, I've been really interested in this topic. About sims with disabilities, and here is my idea for an expansion pack. You can create sims with disabilities, you can give them wheelchairs, handicapped ramps, and walkers. You can create a sim in CAS with a disability or have one in game get that disability. You can also design your sims wheelchair or walker. Do you like my idea for this expansion pack?
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    disneygirl

disneygirl

how would you feel if a bully uploaded a disabled sim on fire in a video game and it made EA get a lawsuit on their hands?
    • Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    James

James

What's your problem I'm just sharing my ideas. And lots of customers would like to see this, because some of them might have actual disabilities themselves, including me. If you don't like my idea then just say so.
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    disneygirl

disneygirl

I would love to have wheelchairs in the game as well as canes for child-elder to represent blindness. And also maybe some deaf or hard of hearing sims as well. But I'm asking you how would you feel if EA had a lawsuit on their hands due to to the fact a bully let's say uploaded a YouTube video of putting a disabled sim on fire? It's one of the most common arguments against disablties in the game. Against 'too many animations' and other stuff I mentioned on your other thread.

read the entire thread from the offical forum: **** Please-do-not-promote-other-forums **** copy-content-here ****jforum/posts/list/32334.page

**** Please-do-not-promote-other-forums **** copy-content-here ****jforum/posts/list/758352.page

**** Please-do-not-promote-other-forums **** copy-content-here ****posts/list/15/9681467.page

my own blog about this 'lousy excuse':
    http://celoptra.wordpress.com/2012/...one-lousy-excuse-that-almost-always-comes-up/
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    James

James

You see, the thing is a bully can do the same to everyone, such as gay or fat sims. So why not sue EA for having gay and fat sims in the game?
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    disneygirl

disneygirl

I'm not good at explain but the thing is we can do that stuff to able-body sims in the name of comedy. But for disabled sims (if disabled sims were to put in the game). You can't in the name of comedy make fun of disabled sims. And just by including them=making fun of disabled people.

I'm going to quote Taynarose's posts
    Me: there's also the problem about how to handle disablties without using old sterotypes like "Evil" or temporary disabled. Or how would a mean sim act to someone in a wheelchair without it being offensive or one of those stereotypes?

and I did ask a Gru once on his blog and this is what he responded:
    "That's an interesting question. Disabilities in The Sims could be fun and/or meaningful if we handled them carefully. Those ideas have come up. The hardest part about disabilities is that most of them would require tons of new animation and scripting -- maybe 10x what some other feature would cost. For example, if we wanted to have a wheelchair-bound Sim, we would have to make new animations for all of the touching social interactions (kiss, hug, greet, slap, fight, etc), new bathe animations, new bed get-ins, new ways to interact where other Sims would use chairs, and so on. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it would probably require an expansion that has disabilities or health as a major component so that we'd be able to justify spending all the extra time there. Perhaps minor disabilities would be more feasible to implement. As a player, I'd personally love to see that kind of thing in The Sims!"

and as for a poll like the one you have here:
    "That's the sort of thing that we might do if we were heavily considering it for a pack in the very near future. If it's just a more general poll, then we'd be worried it might disappoint players if it took years before we eventually did it. However, I had a conversation with some other SimGurus at lunch about this, and the general opinion was that including disabilities could be good if (1) it didn't use all our animation budget and (2) it was something players could opt into. There was one SimGuru who disagreed though, who thought it was too serious an issue. It was certainly an interesting conversation."

What about those who are disabled who might not want the game? Its 50/50 thing. Would You play with disabled sim? Some people believe disablties don't sell (I have the exactly oppiste proof they do sell a '90s disabled Barbie in its second incarnation ((also in the 90s)) flew off the shelves in toy stores ((but the last Becky doll was in 2000 who was Parompylic Becky*)). Currently there's a woman who sells Down-Sydrome dolls and she has sold about 1,000 dolls and has pre-orders for another 1,000 and then there's the American girls dolls or something which you can buy: wheelchair, miniature service dog,hearing aid,crutches, braces for teeth, glasses and an allergy free lunch kit ).

Can you (anyone of you who support disabled Sims) think of a way for EA/Maxis to show disablties sensitively without resorting to stereotypes? How would they get disabled? Born that way? accidents (and what kind)? In CAS?

Knowing EA/Maxis, elevators will likely come in an EP. So how would a base-game wheelchair person get up steps if no elevator exists? Or what if they wanted to visit a friend's home but the friend has stairs at the front of the house? How would they get inside.

Could you think of a way to advertise disabled sims?

or and there's also the risk of including disablties that people might want to get more um dangerous? illnesses like say cancer or strokes?

as for my ideas:
    when a Pet EPs comes out you could have
    a service dog
    service monkey
    service horse or ride horses for thepary
    and swim with dolphins in an Island Paradise kind of EP (or if not a theme park with a water world)?

I'm just informing you about my years of experience dealing with being pro-camp for this
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    Queen

Queen

Origin ID:
    PuReAnGeL
    Service monkey? What hell is that? I disagree the whole statement. My vote is a big NO to wheelchairs and disabilities.
    • Like Like x 3
    disneygirl

disneygirl

a service monkey is a capuchin monkey which can help a person with spinal injuries by doing stuff like microwaving food, opening drinking bottles, and washing legs. As well as grasping items, operating knobs and switches, and turning the pages of a book
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Queen

Queen

Origin ID:
    PuReAnGeL
    Honey, I know what is it... but that is not cool for a game.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    disneygirl

disneygirl

If you know what a service monkey is. You shouldn't need to ask "what the hell is that" in the first place. It makes you look like you don't know what one is.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    Queen

Queen

Origin ID:
    PuReAnGeL
    Well, that's how I say it. Please calm down... ok?
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    RadKitty

RadKitty

It would be nice to have something similar to this but not as serious as an actual disability. Like for example, your child sim is playing outside or something and falls and breaks its arm. The sim should be able to be brought to the hospital and given a cast that it would be able to wear for a few days, and some interactions would be limited until it heals. (Pretty cool addition is if your friends could sign your arm) Same thing with an accident that could break your leg, you get crutches instead of an arm cast.

Other additions.
    • The ambulance can pick people up if their house is far away from the hospital.
    • If the injury is severe enough, the sim can stay overnight.
    • Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
    disneygirl

disneygirl

I really wish people would stop calling injuries like a broken arm/leg a disability. A DISABILITY is only refers if a person is blind, deaf, in a wheelchair (list of other problems like diabetes, cancer,etc) or mentally ill.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    Cynel

Cynel V.I.P Sims 4 V.I.P

Origin ID:
    Cynel1
    i just don't know about this Ep idea.
    MeganNicole

MeganNicole

they never said a broken arm/leg was a disability. All they said was that it would be cool if the game had something less serious than a "disability" like a broken arm or leg. And technically, A broken arm or leg could be a disability. The definition of a disability is "A condition ( such as an Illness or injury ) that damages or limits a person's physical or mental abilities." Last time I checked, a broken bone can limit a person's physical abilities.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    amy manon

amy manon

I think overall that it's a good idea and it would really help people with disabilities to be represented in the game, which is great. Howerver, I think adding it might be problematic because it would turn the Sims game to a darker, sadder part of life; it would a little bit be like adding the possibility for your sims to kill himself. Also I imagine it would be very expensive to make the new animations and interactions. That would also mean there has to be ways to get handiccaped like car crashes (with no cars it's gonna be hard).
    As much as I love that idea, I don't think a lot of people would be interested to buy this EP and that would mean that if the producers decide to create that expansion pack, it would be way too expensive for nothing and they might lose a lot of money
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    amy manon

amy manon

I think overall that it's a good idea and it would really help people with disabilities to be represented in the game, which is great. Howerver, I think adding it might be problematic because it would turn the Sims game to a darker, sadder part of life; it would a little bit be like adding the possibility for your sims to kill himself. Also I imagine it would be very expensive to make the new animations and interactions. That would also mean there has to be ways to get handiccaped like car crashes (with no cars it's gonna be hard).
    As much as I love that idea, I don't think a lot of people would be interested to buy this EP and that would mean that if the producers decide to create that expansion pack, it would be way too expensive for nothing and they might lose a lot of money
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    Cynel

Cynel V.I.P Sims 4 V.I.P

Origin ID:
    Cynel1
    this could be the reason EA/maxis is Hesitant on making this EP.
    Cynel

Cynel V.I.P Sims 4 V.I.P

Origin ID:
    Cynel1
    this could be the reason EA/maxis is Hesitant on making this EP.
    sim-o-lishas

sim-o-lishas

i think it is a good idea as it would remind people what dissabiltys can do to peoples lives, although it would make the game a darker less fun game and people with dissabilitys could get offended because t could be see as taking the mick a it...... therefor i am undissided. ( soz about spellings :p )
    • Disagree Disagree x 1