1. Do you want Unlimited Mod and Skin downloads, Access to ALL premium/paid mods, No Delay Between Downloads, No Ads, a Blog, LOADS of site benefits and more! For one small monthly fee! Starting from $6.99 p/m - ✭ Join our Sims 4 V.I.P Club Here ✭ & Find out more about V.I.P here

Too old to play the sims? T_T

Discussion in 'The Sims 4 General Discussion' started by Dana, Oct 1, 2014.

?

How old are you?

Poll closed Nov 19, 2014.
  1. Under 13 years old.

2.3%
  2. Between 13 and 19 years old.

20.5%
  3. 20+ years old.

77.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
    Dana

Dana

Origin ID:
    Wigglicious
    So I will be turning 23 in 3 ish months. The other day I was confronted with a bit of a negative response by someone when I told them I was playing the sims. They said I was too old to play the sims! </3

It is true that I often times feel reluctant to mention anything about the fact that I play the sims seriously/regularly in RL because I think people will assume I'm childish or odd for playing the game. I am odd, I wont deny that! but I don't really think the Sims should only be viewed as a childrens/teens game. I think there are a lot of elements that adhere to the more mature audience. (And some mods that really add on to that.. Such as realistic male and female genitals. LOL)

What do you guys think?
    Also I added a poll to gauge the average age of people using this forum just because I am interested in seeing the outcome. :x3:
    EyeDye

EyeDye

This may come as a shock to you, but the majority of gamers are in their 20's to 30's. It was this generation that video gaming was established as mainstream and popularized. :thumbsup:
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    WatchSparks

WatchSparks

Origin ID:
    Watchsparks1
    I think most of us got hooked onto the sims when it first came out and we grew with it, we might have been younger when we started playing.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    yony1312

yony1312 V.I.P Sims 4 V.I.P

Origin ID:
    Yony1312
    i am 14 but i know 2 simmers who are 40+ , some with kids who play !
    never stop doing things you love to do!!!
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    Dana

Dana

Origin ID:
    Wigglicious
    Oh, I know all to well lol. My boyfriend is a very... intense... gamer to say that least, and I was introduced to the gamer culture through him, even though I was a gamer already... just more secretive about it because the kind of people I hung out with before, whom did not play games. (Now I just don't hang out with anyone.. sigh.)

I guess I mean... playing it on the level I do (every day for a couple hours a day, if not more) seems to irk some people I've talked to and I could only guess it was because they thought I should be at a university frat party binge drinking, or on a double date with my 'bestie' or something. (Ew to both of those possibilities.) But I realize now, I was probably talking to people who had very different views on games that I do.

I definitely agree with that. I think I probably wouldn't be playing the sims if I hadn't started when I was 13 or so. Just because I wouldn't have ever gotten hooked.

I see that the most votes on age right now are 20+ though, so I definitely feel less alone in my Sims obsession. :x3:
    • Like Like x 1
    Gazz

Gazz If it move don't kill it just freeze it

All you lot are young to me :whistling: Lets say am not 30 or 50 but somewhere between that age range :p :cya:
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Dana

Dana

Origin ID:
    Wigglicious
    @Gazz

That's awesome! I wish I could get my mom to play videogames. It's so funny when she comes in my room when I am playing the sims... she stops and stares at the computer screen like theres some sort of aliens possessing the monitor... she just looks totally bewildered every time. But she never says anything. She's never even asked me what it is... Lol. She's so weird. <3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    Samira

Samira

Origin ID:
    XxAirixX
    Pff, there is no such thing as being too old. There are grandparents that play the game apparently. Who cares what some think people? Why let them ruin the fun and things that you enjoy (probably the same people that look down on animations, comics and dressing up. Can imagine how dull life would be without all that personally).
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Tanena

Tanena

Age with the SIMS is nothing but a number...I have met people who are kids and met some who are are like my mom ( 52 shhhhhh ) who loves sims....Sims is fun for any age Don't let someone rain on your parade of fun....Sims is for everyone!....and I still read comics and have fun who said we had to stop that? lol....
    • Like Like x 1
    plumdrop

plumdrop Sadistic Simmer

Origin ID:
    sourdime
    I'll be 21 next month. While I don't feel theres an age limit for sim I do feel myself becoming less interested in it.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    Meline

Meline Dutchie

Origin ID:
    meline134
    I'm 23.
    I got into sims when I was about 10-ish I think, mostly because my older sister was playing it.
    And well, I am a loyal puppy. Stuck with what I know, and I don't think there'll ever be a time where I'll be like 'Welp, I'm too old to Sims now!'
    • Like Like x 1
    Veronika

Veronika

Origin ID:
    dab1gv
    I first started Sims 3 when I was 11, after I got out of hospital, saw it, bought it. Few years later, still here!
    moniunia

moniunia

I'm 25 in two weeks and I just love The Sims :) I played them since The Sims 1 and I don't think I will ever stop, it's a great game without a dead end. And I'm really bad at other games where you have to use manual skills lol
    • Like Like x 2
    Dana

Dana

Origin ID:
    Wigglicious
    At times I become less interested in playing, like after awhile with Sims 3 for example. But I'm pretty into it right now with the sims 4.

I honestly dont really know anyone RL that plays the sims! Maybe that's where I was getting this misconception from that people my age must not play or something. Lol but I think I will still be into video games when I'm that old too. XD

Agreed!

Also, there's tons of 20+ people.
    We are the Simmer generation. :cool2:
    plumdrop

plumdrop Sadistic Simmer

Origin ID:
    sourdime
    I seem to be on a Pokemon kick instead of sims all together. However, I was playing a lot of TS1 before TS4.
    Sugar Rave

Sugar Rave

The only reason it should irk them is if you're playing when you're supposed to be working, or constantly forget commitments. Otherwise it's none of their business, or they're probably just jealous you don't spend time with them (like the prissy princesses they are). I wouldn't know but it sounds like you do neither if you're only playing for a few hours a day. Also, frat parties are overrated :/

My Dad has even said to me that I may be getting old to be playing games, but I know he's just concerned that I'll blow off school or work, which I don't. I may have a habit of leaving things until later (and I could hardly credit gaming as the sole factor in that) but I can usually make deadlines with acceptable quality work, so it's not a problem.
    GorgeousGolden

GorgeousGolden

I'll be 24 at the end of October... I've been playing since the game first came out and I grew up with it. I don't care if anyone thinks I'm too old because it's been part of my life for more than half of my life so far.
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    Dana

Dana

Origin ID:
    Wigglicious
    First off, I love your profile pic. <3 Ugh, so many memories.
    And yeah, my responsibilities come first over anything.

I think that's a big misconception people make about gamers- that their world just revolves around games, and that they must be lazy slobs if they are hardcore gamers or anything close to it. Well, I'd love to burst there bubbles and tell them that we have friends and a life outside gaming that we are perfectly committed to and they are just close minded to think that we ONLY play games. Like really, just because someone is in track, for example, doesn't mean that ALL THEY DO is run.

But I really think there is definitely big ties to our 20-30 year old (1980's to early 1990's) generation here among us that are gamers. It's really awesome to be part of that really. :x3:
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Korvaz

Korvaz

I need my breaks like normal people have but I'm not getting tired of the franchise at all. Been playing Sims since day 1.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    newgamer6

newgamer6

In response to the age factor, just to say I am a senior citizen at the age of 70, i have been playing the Sims since Sims 1, i enjoy building homes and furnishing them, however i don't actually play the game that often. Just building is good enough for this addle brained man:)
    • Like Like x 5