1. Do you want Unlimited Mod and Skin downloads, Access to ALL premium/paid mods, No Delay Between Downloads, No Ads, a Blog, LOADS of site benefits and more! For one small monthly fee! Starting from $6.99 p/m - ✭ Join our Sims 4 V.I.P Club Here ✭ & Find out more about V.I.P here

possible problem with latest Windows 8.1 update and mods

Discussion in 'Technical Support & Bug Reports' started by dmckean, Oct 19, 2015.

dmckean

dmckean

I have several hundred mods in mod folder.I didn't have any problems until yesterday morning when i downloaded latest 8.1 update. Afterward I tried to run the Sims4 game and keep getting the following error message: "Unable to Start: Cannot start because required game data missing or damaged. Please try reinstalling the game."

Of course I did reinstall Origin and the game twice and same message. I called my PC tech support and after several hours of trouble shooting and running virus sans etc with no results, they reformatted the C drive. I backed up my mods and other docs on a flash drive before hand. Reinstalled Origin and S4 again and same error message. I decided to experiment myself in the game and, since I backed up all of the mods, I deleted them from the "mods" game folder, then restarted the game and this time the game started.

Of course, there are no mods and that is boring. So I started by slowly adding one and then two and then more mods at a time and each time the game worked except until I got to about 20 mods or so and then I started getting the same error message when trying to start the game again.

Any thoughts?
    Gazz

Gazz If it move don't kill it just freeze it

If you go into Origin right click Sims 4 then click repair game. Am not saying this will work. Am on windows 10 and have 41 mods works fine
    dmckean

dmckean

Thanks Gazz; we did try the repair game and no luck, Further research indicates that it may have not been the Windows 8.1 update at all, that it may have been the Origin update and apparently a lot of mods are "broken" or not compatible to this new update. However, I will also try switching to Windows 10.

Thanks again.
    Chany Philly

Chany Philly

Origin ID:
    chanyphilly
    If you can, downgrade to the last version of Origin. That's what I did when this exact problem occurred and everything was fine after that.
    dmckean

dmckean

Thanks Chany for that good advise. I actually just spent the last few hours going through all of my mods and was able to identify 6 that were broken; deleted them and the rest work fine and I'm back to playing!

Thanks to both and have a great day!
    • Like Like x 1