1. Do you want Unlimited Mod and Skin downloads, Access to ALL premium/paid mods, No Delay Between Downloads, No Ads, a Blog, LOADS of site benefits and more! For one small monthly fee! Starting from $6.99 p/m - ✭ Join our Sims 4 V.I.P Club Here ✭ & Find out more about V.I.P here

Sims in wheelchairs?

Discussion in 'CaS & Creations Sharing' started by James, Jun 14, 2014.

James

James

God I really hope they add sims with disabilities, it's only fair to the people like us who are disabled. Don't you think they should add it? Because personally for me it makes me feel left out and people who are disabled should really be able to create themselves. The game is about creating yourself and friends so why not make it possible?
    • Like Like x 3
    Vettlune

Vettlune God

I think they're trying to make it less life-like as possible lol.
    thegirlysimmer

thegirlysimmer THEGIRLYSIMMER

I THINK IF THEY HAD SIMS IN WHEEL CHAIRS IT WOULD BE FINE BUT I THINK SIMS WITH DISABILITIES WOULD BE RATHER CONTREVERSIAL
    James

James

Yeah I guess so.
    thegirlysimmer

thegirlysimmer THEGIRLYSIMMER

could you subscribe to my youtube
    Macie

Macie Certified Hipster

I think sims in wheelchairs would be a unique and creative change for ea to make. I'd be all for it to be optional ;) Even if it doesn't come out in the game I'm sure some people who feel the same way will make cc for it. :D
    • Like Like x 1
    Sugar Rave

Sugar Rave

I'd be fine if it worked like canes in TS3. It could be stuffed away in a sim's inventory and pulled out when you wanted them to use it
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Nonni

Nonni

I think that an operational wheelchair would add a great option to the game. Think of the building challenges it would create for those of us who love to build. Would that we could say like Jean Luc, "Make it so." Great idea, James!
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Sims4Forum

Sims4Forum The Boss Site Owner

Nonni is right, it'd present a lofty set of building challenges. But it's by no means impossible! :)
    Gigi

Gigi The Boss Site Owner

That tbh is not a bad idea...an operational wheelchair. It can be an option just in case you do want a sim in a wheelchair. It can work like the cane in The Sims 3...we can choose if our elders want to use the cain or not.

It would though make for a set of building challenges, I agree. Making the house wheelchair accessible and stuff....ramps, and all that.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Nonni

Nonni

Exactly. We can dream can't we?
    disneygirl

disneygirl

I would love to have wheelchairs in the game as well as canes for child-elder to represent blindness. And also maybe some deaf or hard of hearing sims as well. But I'm asking you how would you feel if EA had a lawsuit on their hands due to to the fact a bully let's say uploaded a YouTube video of putting a disabled sim on fire? It's one of the most common arguments against disablties in the game. Against 'too many animations' and other stuff I mentioned on your other thread.

read the entire thread from the offical forum: **** Please-do-not-promote-other-forums **** copy-content-here ****jforum/posts/list/32334.page

**** Please-do-not-promote-other-forums **** copy-content-here ****jforum/posts/list/758352.page

**** Please-do-not-promote-other-forums **** copy-content-here ****posts/list/15/9681467.page

my own blog about this 'lousy excuse':
    http://celoptra.wordpress.com/2012/...one-lousy-excuse-that-almost-always-comes-up/

As for bullies can do that to able-body, fat, gay Sims argument?
    I'm not good at explain but the thing is we can do that stuff to able-body sims in the name of comedy. But for disabled sims (if disabled sims were to put in the game). You can't in the name of comedy make fun of disabled sims. And just by including them=making fun of disabled people.

I'm going to just quote Taynarose's posts to try to explain what I am trying to say:

*mention of the disabled Bustin' Out character or something Lilcon? or somethng which was disabled*

ML/DG (aka Me):
    there's also the problem about how to handle disablties without using old sterotypes like "Evil" or temporary disabled. Or how would a mean sim act to someone in a wheelchair without it being offensive or one of those stereotypes?

and I did ask a Gru once on his blog and this is what he responded:
    "That's an interesting question. Disabilities in The Sims could be fun and/or meaningful if we handled them carefully. Those ideas have come up. The hardest part about disabilities is that most of them would require tons of new animation and scripting -- maybe 10x what some other feature would cost. For example, if we wanted to have a wheelchair-bound Sim, we would have to make new animations for all of the touching social interactions (kiss, hug, greet, slap, fight, etc), new bathe animations, new bed get-ins, new ways to interact where other Sims would use chairs, and so on. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it would probably require an expansion that has disabilities or health as a major component so that we'd be able to justify spending all the extra time there. Perhaps minor disabilities would be more feasible to implement. As a player, I'd personally love to see that kind of thing in The Sims!"

and as for a poll like the one you have here:
    "That's the sort of thing that we might do if we were heavily considering it for a pack in the very near future. If it's just a more general poll, then we'd be worried it might disappoint players if it took years before we eventually did it. However, I had a conversation with some other SimGurus at lunch about this, and the general opinion was that including disabilities could be good if (1) it didn't use all our animation budget and (2) it was something players could opt into. There was one SimGuru who disagreed though, who thought it was too serious an issue. It was certainly an interesting conversation."

What about those who are disabled who might not want the game? Its 50/50 thing. Some people believe disablties don't sell (I have the exactly opposite proof they do sell a '90s disabled Barbie in its second incarnation ((also in the 90s)) flew off the shelves in toy stores ((but the last Becky doll was in 2000 who was Parompylic Becky*)). Currently there's a woman who sells Down-Sydrome dolls and she has sold about 1,000 dolls and has pre-orders for another 1,000 and then there's the American girls dolls or something which you can buy: wheelchair, miniature service dog,hearing aid,crutches, braces for teeth, glasses and an allergy free lunch kit.

To anyone on here would You play with disabled Sim?
    Can you (anyone of you who support disabled Sims) think of a way for EA/Maxis to show disablties sensitively without resorting to stereotypes? How would they get disabled? Born that way? accidents (and what kind)? In CAS?

Knowing EA/Maxis, elevators will likely come in an EP. So how would a base-game wheelchair person get up steps if no elevator exists? Or what if they wanted to visit a friend's home but the friend has stairs at the front of the house? How would they get inside.

Could you think of a way to advertise disabled sims?

or and there's also the risk of including disablties that people might want to get more um dangerous? illnesses like say cancer or strokes?

as for my ideas:
    when a Pet EPs comes out you could have
    a service dog
    service monkey
    service horse or ride horses for thepary
    and swim with dolphins in an Island Paradise kind of EP (or if not a theme park with a water world)?

I'm just informing you about my years of experience dealing with being pro-camp for this
    V12creator

V12creator

I would like this. I hate the entire "Not include because is controverse" thing, i hate political-correctness in excess as well. Anything that makes the game less childish gameplay-wise, even if in a non-serious typical Thesims way, i shall support, unless it takes too much work to be donne or eats too much randering.

But right now i do rather focus on things that were already part of the game before. Like toddlers, pools,clothingstores, aliens and SocialBunny.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    Queen

Queen

Origin ID:
    PuReAnGeL
    My vote: "No" to Wheelchairs.
    Nonni

Nonni

I am pooped just reading the responses.
    V12 has made some great points. :)
    A working Wheelchair is not high up on my wishlist for TS4. Just an entertaining what-if. :thumbsup:
    Seasons, Toddlers, Aliens - lay in a course and take us there, EA, for our TS4 game.
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    James

James

Why not?
    IvoryOwl

IvoryOwl

If the core game is not even going to have toddlers or pools - something meaningful to the series - what makes you think that they would add disabled Sims? If their reasoning for the lack of these features was a tight schedule and complications in the implementation, why would they add something that is nothing more than an interesting "what-if" kind of thing?

The reason why the Sims series are so interesting its because of all the things you can do in it. Adding disabled Sims would be nothing more than a nice gesture towards disabled people, but it wouldn't add anything special to the game... other than just having physical limitations. In fact, one could ask if that's actually good or not. Sims on wheelchairs wouldn't be able to do not even half of the things normal Sims can. As for blindness, how do you even portrait that correctly into a game? You could say that its "optional" content - and you would be correct. Its precisely for being so optional that one has to wonder if its even worth the hours and resources implementing it.

If it were to happen then MAYBE as an expansion pack.
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
    Sugar Rave

Sugar Rave

I resent that. As you said, the reason why the Sims series are so interesting its because of all the things you can do in it. We as players may not even touch upon all of the features, but that doesn't mean they're not worth the effort to put in. Hell, I'm still finding new features in TS3 and the game is finished already. Some of them I never use again, other times it's like "Why didn't I see this sooner?"

Other simmers may see the same features as me and hate them, or they may love the stuff I hate. To be honest, I never even used pools all that much in TS3, although toddlers are something that I'll miss. Meanwhile these are both considered "core gameplay" to the series, even if only one of them adds anything to my personal experience.