1. Do you want Unlimited Mod and Skin downloads, Access to ALL premium/paid mods, No Delay Between Downloads, No Ads, a Blog, LOADS of site benefits and more! For one small monthly fee! Starting from $6.99 p/m - ✭ Join our Sims 4 V.I.P Club Here ✭ & Find out more about V.I.P here

The Sims 4 Controversy

Discussion in 'The Sims 4 General Discussion' started by Dawnbreak, Aug 8, 2014.

Dawnbreak

Dawnbreak

Origin ID:
    DawnbreakEdge
    Since so many people are upset/confused about the things cut from the game....

Play the role of Lead Developer

What if you were a developer and you had little time to develop a whole new project since your first project was not going to work and you had to start all over. The first project wasted some time (online gameplay), as seen in Simcity. Now, you have The Sims 3 with all its issues. What would you cut from the game? What would you add? Keep in mind, performance, gameplay, visuals, etc.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Sims4Forum

Sims4Forum The Boss Site Owner

i'd probably cut a few corners, MAYBE a life stage depending on how much work it took to do a life stage. But you'd think toddler (stages between baby and child) would have been one of the earliest things they'd have developed... so I'm not sure why they chose to skip it that early in development. But yeah pools involves water physics and a complex set of animations, so I would probably cut that too. (I know, ironic that the ones i'd cut were the ones that were cut... but makes sense).

I'll add more later, just wanted to kick start this thread. It's a good idea!
    Incognito

Incognito

I'd cut
    - The YA life stage, as it seems a bit redundant, certainly more so than toddlers.

I'd add
    - Load screens, but only between neighbourhoods, as then you have a decent sized play area but the game is more stable.
    - A colourwheel, as it just seems odd not to have one, especially after fans were used to CASt.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    Dawnbreak

Dawnbreak

Origin ID:
    DawnbreakEdge
    Thanks! I just want to know what people would do in the developer's shoes since they're so quick to bash.

Maybe the YA stage? Merge it with adult?
    • Like Like x 1
    Capracorn

Capracorn

Origin ID:
    DiabolusExNihilo
    I would probably cut pools as well. It would take a while to develop with animations, water physics, not including the many things you need to go with pools (Swim wear, Diving Boards, Cosmetic to make the pool look good, ect.) I would merge YA with adult, since it seems redundant. I would probably make the open worlds semi-open world but the neighborhoods would be much bigger. I wouldn't add a height slider. For example, if I wanted a midget adult to kiss a taller one, if I didn't change the animations it would probably bug out, meaning that I would need to create a new set of animations. If I were to add different heights there would be pre-set ones. I would take out CASt, but at least try to add a color wheel in there for some creativity.
    • Like Like x 2
    Charlotte_mays

Charlotte_mays

Origin ID:
    ChoCoLatEPinKIE
    I'd do what I'd have to do. If there are things that i know that my fans want in the game, but i can't put in the game just because they say so. I have to make sacrifices, it's not like I want to see my fans unhappy, but what needs to be done needs to be done and i wish that it wouldn't have to come to that. And i would know that no matter how many times I assure my fans that excluded feature will come back, I know i will still get hell for it. But I have to go by what is best for now, I have to make sacrifices, I have to let some things go. I have to hold some things off, and no petition for the game to go back under the drawing board can change my mind, especially so close to its release date. But I would have to keep in mind that even if I had listened to all of my fans, cuts would have to be made. But no matter what i would take out, fans would still be upset no matter what happens. And it would hurt that I would have to keep that in mind, and the happiness of my fans in mind as well even though it's stressing me out to the point where it hurts to think.
    I have to think of more than just the unhappy fans, I have to think of everyone. The people who have been itching to get the game, the effect possibly delaying or completely shelving the game would have on the company and the fans, and the unhappy fans themselves. I have to worry about everything, if the game is delayed so close to release date, the company could crumble, but when the game releases, should I risk fans who are happy going against fans who are unhappy. The hate mail, countless cyber arguments, countless reports about unhappy fans who still demand the copy be taken off of the market and to even wish the downfall of not only the game, but the company. That would hurt, that would hurt to know that I've spent approximately 3-5 years on a project I had set in my heart would satisfy everyone but yet I get so much negativity about what i terrible job I have done. It would hurt to know that no one cares if I had taken very long days out of my life and have spent late hours in the studio further polishing the game. My family wanting to know when I'll be home, but I won't be sure because I'm trying to make this project satisfying to my peers so it benefits everyone. And to know that no matter what I do or say, I'm still seen as a money hungry villain who only want's to dig into my fans pockets, that would hurt my feelings that I'm thought so low of even after all of the hard work that I've had to contribute to; after giving up spending time with my family to make sure that this game will be acceptable enough to play without so much negative backslash.
    I don't know about anyone else, but if all of this was the case, that would be too much stress to endure. And all I would want is a break from it all....
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    mariefoxprice83

mariefoxprice83

If it were me I'd probably delay release rather than cut things. Having said that, I'd think about merging toddlers with babies . I guess dropping one of the adult stages is obvious but I like having both YA and adult because I think adult lives should be the longest, but the child and teen ages are proportionately longer than they should be if there is only 1 adult stage.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    Capracorn

Capracorn

Origin ID:
    DiabolusExNihilo
    You could delay rather then cut, but how would the people who want to game feel if it was delayed so close to the release date? There would be a lot more stress put on you and your co-workers.
    Charlotte_mays

Charlotte_mays

Origin ID:
    ChoCoLatEPinKIE
    Ok i kinda don't agree with the whole delay thing for quite some reasons concerning the company and whether we can afford that heavy hit, but bear with me. What if you couldn't delay the game? I've actually been thinking about why they wouldn't just do that all the way in June and/or July but then i thought, maybe they can't afford to delay the game any further, as long as this game has been under the drawing board. I'm not dissing your comment, I'm just asking what would you do if the company tells you that delaying the game is a no no
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
    Dawnbreak

Dawnbreak

Origin ID:
    DawnbreakEdge
    I think a delay is bad for the company. It might affect sales and might affect your company's image.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    Lokisimsies

Lokisimsies

I wouldn't cut anything. I would have the "you know what's" to go to the top management and ask for an extension. I would first have my team draw up something that even the most inept and incompetent CEO could understand. It would have projected sales with cutting out key features then it would show projected sales and projected cost of including those key features. Numbers can be manipulated so I would be sure to do everything in my power to convince the brass that they want an extension and that the shareholders will be so happy with the returns of this extension that he will have no choice but to agree.

I would also, oh so coyly, point out that extensions had already been granted to other titles and then show him the sales figures for the games. Basically, a precedence was set by allowing those extensions and I would make sure to ride that wave myself.

But that's just me, I would fight for what I believed in and do everything in my power to make sure that a product going out with my name on it was the best it could be and not some mess that will make me want to bury the job deep in my resume.
    Cynel

Cynel V.I.P Sims 4 V.I.P

Origin ID:
    Cynel1
    I would Cut Toddlers but keep the code in the game for Developers to Finish in a Generations EP.
    Dawnbreak

Dawnbreak

Origin ID:
    DawnbreakEdge
    Is it an issue, tech-wise, to include a new life stage?
    Capracorn

Capracorn

Origin ID:
    DiabolusExNihilo
    Could you elaborate what you mean by "tech-wise"?
    Cynel

Cynel V.I.P Sims 4 V.I.P

Origin ID:
    Cynel1
    beats me i would leave it there to Finish later in a Generations EP.
    pteranodon

pteranodon

Origin ID:
    bofb101
    To be honest, may be stress on dev team is bettter than stress on feedback&support center
    Lokisimsies

Lokisimsies

Yes.

They claim it's the animations and reactions (emotional reactions) to the environment that is causing the issue. However, didn't somebody post that the framework is already in the coding for both pools and toddlers? So, what does that tell you (me)? That they chose to not include them. Who knows why, I suspect to sell them later in an EP but really who knows?
    • Like Like x 1
    Dawnbreak

Dawnbreak

Origin ID:
    DawnbreakEdge
    Tech-wise meaning the game's codes and programming. The stuff that can't be changed after release.
    Cynel

Cynel V.I.P Sims 4 V.I.P

Origin ID:
    Cynel1
    • Like Like x 1
    Capracorn

Capracorn

Origin ID:
    DiabolusExNihilo
    Stress on the Dev team could mean that some would rush through and try to get it done as soon as possible, simply because they can't handle the stress. It could also equal stress on Feedback & Support team because people want the game sooner and do not want it delayed, then you also have the constant feedback from those who do want it delayed and it could start arguments.

I would cut toddlers because I wouldn't want to have them like they were in the Sims 3. From a player stand point I found them annoying and a waste of time in the Sims 3, I would wait and try to make them better to release as a free patch.

Yes, in some circumstances it could end up being an issue.
    • Like Like x 2